a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hats and Houndstooth...











(My little sister in my hat! I swear she cannot look bad in anything!)
Yesterday was my first experience driving alone to someplace other than school and my boyfriend's house. Where do you think I might have gone? Shopping of course! :)
My favorite thrift store, What Goes 'Round, is having a winter sale right now; everything is $1! How can you say no to that!? So yesterday I ventured out into the pouring, ice cold rain to find some deals lol. It was well worth getting soaked to the bone though, I found two great things!
My favorite would have to be the hat. I literally gasped when I saw this hat just perched upon an old chair. The sales lady said it had come in the day before; my lucky day! Although it is not vintage, I still love the hat dearly. It has a vintage feel to it, and it's hard not to love lace, satin, and a wide brim all in one. For $3 I felt I was stealing this hat from the store.
Also, I got the houndstooth skirt in the above pictures for just a dollar! It fits like a glove and looks much better on than in the pictures. I went to my school's play last night and just had to take it out. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures. I am planning on wearing it soon this week though!
I think yesterday was really the first time that I got to take my time and actually look at EVERYTHING in a thrift shop. Every time before now I have been rushed, or my mom had to go somewhere, so I could not take my time and look. I was so happy though I wanted to cry when I went out thrfiting yesterday. It's like a high to go into a thrift store and see all the special treasures that are one of a kind. With thrift shopping, you never know what kind of treasure will appear right before your eyes. There is something truly magical about thrift shops that I cannot describe. There's just something about old things that makes me giddy!
Yesterday I found a lot more special treasures that I did not get to take home, but here is a little description of some...
  • There was a big box of old 1950's Ladies Home Journal magazines that were beyond fantastic! The clothes features were so inspirational...and some of the ads were hilarious! Perhaps for only $5 I can get one sometime..
  • A brown floppy vintage hat. As you know I have been on a great expedition for a straw hat and this one comes close to my expectations. However, it had a veil covering the top part that was ripped, so I had to pass. It was still gorgeous though!
  • There was this remarkable satin floral jewelry box that I cannot get out of my mind. I believe it was from the 1970's. The inside was lined with red satin;the box would truly be perfect to hold the rest of my jewelry!
  • A dress made from Hawaii that was one of a kind. The colors were so bright and vibrant, and the shape was just too darling. I really hope to go back for the dress. It was $14, which is not bad at all, but I'm such a cheap-o!
  • There were these very interesting vintage head pieces. They were not hats, but just decorative veils that you slipped over your head. One that really caught my fancy was a white one with a bow on the top. I almost looked like a bride in though actually!
  • A little pair of rose clip on earrings were really catching my eye.
  • Still the necklace I talked about last week with gold and pearls is at the shop. I definitely know I am going back to get it so I can wear it to prom. Mom always says, " if your still thinking about a piece a week later, then you like it enough to get it!"

All of these wonderful items will hopefully keep me in a dream land for this week because.... I have the dreaded OGT. The OGT stands for the Ohio Graduation Test that all sophomore students in Ohio must take in order to graduate. All this week I will be taking the tests in every subject, and it is alright to say I am absolutely dreading the tests. Sigh...it's going to be a long week!

SHARE:

1 comment

THELOOKING_GLASS said...

I Love hats!!! Time to start your hat wall. Your little sister is beautiful, future fashionista, I'm sure!
Good Luck with the OGT, I'm sure you'll ace it.

thelookingglassvintage.blogspot.com

Blogger Template by pipdig