a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mary Kay August Samples.

I am notoriously cheap when it comes to buying makeup. I always stand and ponder in the aisles of my local Target and Wal-Mart, biting my lower lip at all of the products, prices, and colors. I'm so scared of wasting my money on a product I won't like, a color I won't use...so usually, I just stick with my regular items, never bothering to branch out into the wide world of make up.

In July I got asked to try out a few samples of Mary Kay makeup every month by the ever-so-lovely Christine of Beayoutiful Hope and also a blogger against social injustices against women- something I have quite strong stand about! Anywho, getting samples of products every month is better than reading hundreds of reviews online and so I thought, why not? Here is my July overview if you'd care to see, and now for my August!

I wouldn't say I have terrible skin but I've really had my fair share of troubles with acne over the years. I think all of us do! My problem wasn't really getting massive amounts, but how I dealt with it. I was a notorious picker, and as a result I have many dark spots on my face from acne scars. This month's package focused on skin care and taking care of those dark spots!

1. Timewise Facial Cleanser and Moisturizer: I don't believe it's ever to late to erase the years of my tanning in my younger years and damaged skin by picking. I was curious to try out this two step facial product and see its results. The cleanser was different from the regular one I use in the aspect it wasn't a chunky formula to pile on your face, but just barely lathered. The moisturizer left a clean, fresh feeling on my face afterwards and it was so lovely to go to bed completely pure. I do have to say though, it didn't work any better or worse than the Avon facial cleaner products I use.

2. Microderabrasion Set: Okay, so I live underneath a rock and had never heard of microderabrasion before and had to have it explained to me! Basically, it's a treatment you can get for your skin that removes the layers of dead/dull skin and reveals the fresh skin underneath. I was excited to try this for my acne scars to see if it really did fade them. This was also a two step process and the first packet felt so incredible and relaxing- like I really was rubbing sand on my face. Although it did feel pretty rough on my skin, the soother after wards worked wonders and cooled my skin. I did this for a few days and definitely noticed my skin to be brighter! I also looked up how much a treatment of microderabrasion costs and saw it was hundreds of dollars...this home set works just as well!

3. Lipstick + perfume: I got a little sample of lipstick to try out in Berry Kiss which was a deep maroon color- unlike anything I've ever tried! I liked it, and you can bet this lipstick fiend will be after a similar color ;) As for the perfume (In Bella) I didn't really care for the scent. It was too much for me as I prefer lighter, more romantic scents and this one was a bit too sensual for my taste.

Have you tried any of these products or thought about trying them?

With much love, Lauren.

P.S. If you'd like to try out a free sample of Microdermabrasion for yourself, feel free to email Christine at cdtjahja@gmail.com!
SHARE:

6 comments

Et tu, tutu? said...

I'd love to try some microdermabrasion stuff to brighten up my face! And, ugh, sensual scents are the worst, haha. They make me think old grandma perfume. :P

-Lindsey
Et tu, tutu?

Carlee, Little Sloth said...

I love the color of that lipstick on you! I also really love how you are completely honest with your review of the products. Love this post.
Carlee
Almost Endearing

Katherine said...

beautiful, i love the lip color on you!

<3 katherine
of corgis and cocktails // current giveaway

Unknown said...

I've tried the Berry Kiss lipstick.. I love it! Great color :-)

Rachael Alsbury @ From Faye said...

I love Mary Kay...been wearing it for years. I have tried every make-up and MK is my fave, and very reasonably priced! I use the Timewise cleanser and moisturizer. When my husband and I were dating he replaced all of my make up with Mary Kay! I thought it was a pretty romatnic gift :)

Chrissy88 said...

I have the mircrodermabrasion set and it does work pretty well. However I have very sensitive skin, so I can't use it more than once every two weeks or so. It isn't cheap, but it lasts a long time.

Blogger Template by pipdig