a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Thursday, September 27, 2012

10 Things.


What I love about Kent:

1. Hearing the trains. It's such a simple pleasure but one that puts me over the moon. When I lay in bed at night, I can hear the mesmerizing sound of the train coming through town and it puts me into the perfect mood for sleeping. I love to think I'm a maiden from the days past, catching a train to meet my husband returning from war. A gal can dream, can't she?

2. The campus. I go to school at the most picturesque place. Greenery everywhere and brick laid walk ways as far as the eye can see. The trees are starting to change color which makes things even more romantic. Even more nostalgic. Sometimes walking back from my classes I just get so absorbed and overwhelmed by the beauty of this place and its atmosphere. Even on the most rainy, dreary days Kent is a beautiful Midwest college full of promise.

3. Independence. I love feeling independent. I love taking care of myself, being on my own schedule, and frankly...doing what I want when I want. Being in charge of your life and the direction you're going is a powerful feeling that is often times scary, but so rewarding, as well. I've learned so much in this month of taking care of myself than I have in years of living at home.

4. Fitting in. In my home town, I felt out of place. Weird. Different. Obscure. I've never felt more at home and with like minded people here though. I'm no longer 'the weird girl.' I'm actually considered very normal in the scheme of things here! It's good to be able to be surrounded with people who just get me and how I think and how I dress. I never thought these people existed.

5.The coffee shops. Sounds silly, doesn't it? I'll let you all in on a little secret. When I toured colleges in high school I of course looked for the basic things everyone does; good program for what I'm studying, liveable campus, not too far from home, the community surrounding it, ect. But the one thing that was a selling point for me was the coffee shops. They had to have lots and they had to...feel right. And that's exactly what they are here at Kent. I have ( and I'm ashamed to admit) become quite addicted to caffeine and these coffee shops lately. I love to sit in their cozy comfort, smelling the beans and sipping on a hot drink, reading blogs. I love to people watch and imagine what their lives are like and what they've done to make them themselves. Someday I'll meet my husband at a coffee shop- I've always known that. Perhaps it will be one here.

6. Fashion Fundamentals. It's a class of mine that I wish was longer than 50 minutes, three times a week. I could sit there for hours, absorbing information and becoming inspired and filled with knowledge. This class has helped me realize without any doubts that I'm right where I should be and studying everything I should be. I couldn't be happier.

7. People are friendly. Like, really, really friendly. It always shocks me so much because in my home town it was never like that. I was never used to people smiling at me or saying hello, coming up to talk to me just because. It's so wonderful because I am hopelessly shy (especially when it comes to new people) and the fact that people take notice of me and want to get to know me blows my mind. That's actually how I met my friend, Erin. She just came up to me, introduced herself, and that was that. I wish everything could be that easy.

8. Downtown. It's filled with the most perfect shops. A cookie delivery that brings you warm cookies (and milk!) until 3 AM. Cutsey clothing stores, delicious eateries, a new frozen yogurt place, and even a store that sells magic wands. Come on, your college doesn't have that...And the best part? It's all within walking distance.

9. Organizations. They actually mean something here. You don't just join them so that 'it looks good on a college app.' The clubs I was in during high school were lame. I'm sorry, they just were. They were never involved, never passionate, and hardly anyone ever came. But here...there's a club for everything and everyone. I love going to TWLOHA, NAVS, and The Fashion Student Organization. They are all things I'm so excited about and the people there are just excited as me. It makes the world of difference and I'm excited to discover even more. Did I mention that there's even an evil geniuses club on campus? Yep, something for everyone.

10. The person I am at Kent. I've always been pretty sure of who I am and what I stand for. I've known with confidence since the 8th grade and haven't wavered much since. I didn't think that coming to college would change much--that it would be easy to stay who I've been (and been happy with being). But it's not as easy as I thought it would be. I've been tested- many times to either be the person I am, or the person I am not. I've noticed though just how much I've grown and changed and gotten stronger in a month of going to college. I still have all of my same morals, ideals, and self but I've only become stronger in all of that. It's not to say I haven't been tested. About 75% of people on this campus smoke and even though I HATE smoking, because everyone is doing it and because 'my type of people' smoke it gives me the urge to try it, too. I know how stupid that sounds and I know I would hate it and I get so angry at myself that I would even consider it. But at the end of the day, I'm still myself and through all of the transitional periods and challenging situations I've been faced with here I've stayed true to Lauren and been proud to be someone like me here. 

I try to think about this list of 10 things and many more whenever I'm having a bad day or a bad experience. I try to be thankful for all of what I have here because I and my parents have truly sacrificed so much and I am just so thankful to be here at Kent. I'm living out my dreams, my dream life, and being my dream self. Life is pretty beautiful when you get to do all that at just 19 ♥

With much love, Lauren.
SHARE:

16 comments

Sara said...

Wow all of this sounds amazing! i'm happy that your happy :)

http://sarassweetstyle.blogspot.com/

Lauren said...

Okay. We are like the same person. That is all. Except you are also super awesome.

Anonymous said...

I just have to comment on the smoking thing really quick. When I was in cosmetology school, EVERYONE smoked. I was like one of five people who didn't. And you want to socialize, but when everyone goes outside to smoke and you're left inside, that pressure can get you. I'm proud to say I never succumbed because smoking is disgusting, and looking back now, if I had done it, I would have been ashamed of myself for betraying a value I held so dear. So good for you for sticking to your guns. It's hard sometimes. :)

The description of your campus sounds amazing. It sounds exactly like what I would imagine historic schools to be. Greenery in California is like palm trees. LOL. I bet it is a dream! <3

toni

Cindi said...

A store that seels magic wands?? Ok this will sound so weird, but gosh how I want to visit that shop! ;)

/Cindi

http://cherriesandsunflowers.blogspot.com

Et tu, tutu? said...

Haha, I can hear the train from my dorm room as I fall asleep too, but it's not as nice when it's so close the whole building shakes. :P

This was a nice list though! I think I might write one of my own sometime this week. I'll let you know if I do. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

-Lindsey

Unknown said...

Those are great things Lauren! You had me at warm cookies and milk deliveries. That is seriously amazing. :-) And coffee shops are a wonderful place to meet people... although since I married the last guy I met at one...I might be a little biased! :-)

OrigamiGirl said...

That all sounds most excellent! It does make me miss uni a little bit! I'm so glad you are enjoying yourself and doing all the fun college things.
On the coffee shops -we had to so many in our town that me and Andy tried them all out having a hot chocolate in each and became hot chocolate experts. Good times.

Glad you are enjoying your course and making friends. Look forward to hearing more. :)

Alice, Pretty Confused said...

I've never heard someone enjoying the sounds of trains before other than me. I used to live by the train lines and while everyone else I knew complained that they kept them away I loved the sound. Well done on not trying smoking too, I made that mistake when I was young and stupid (I guess nearly everyone is at 15) and now it is 10 years later and I'm still doing it. Sounds like you are having an amazing time xo

marcia said...

well. according to this. I should live at Kent. and I never actually thought about meeting my future husband in a coffee shop, but I defiantly thought of having dates there. :D and downtowns are the best.

Kezzie said...

I heard of this 10 things idea before Lauren, I wonder where this brilliant idea came from!?!?!?! ;-)

You have listed some really nice positive things here!

Camille said...

These 10 things sound amazing, you almost make me want to go to Kent. I am staying in the South for college next year. I can't wait to major in fashion.

http://thefunkyfashionista.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you are loving Kent! It sounds lovely - especially the cookie delivery. If we had that at Juniata, I would be soooo fat; I have little self control when it comes to cookies. :P

Good choice on the not smoking thing. Bleck. So bad for you.

Did you ever get your little card? I was worried it got lost in the mail.

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

nice 10 things.. :)Irene Wibowo

Teddi said...

hooray! it sounds so picturesque. :) now i want to see photos of all these fun things, as if it's possible to capture them.

Ali W. said...

Your story of life is amazing. I really appreciate how true you are in your blog. It is very inspirational!

Kristian said...

What a great idea to make such a list. Kent sounds like a great place for you!

Blogger Template by pipdig