Stand Together, America.

6 comments

It's a difficult day for Americans. Regardless of election outcome, the votes show a heartbreaking reality: we are divided. The popular votes were split nearly 50/50 for our two significant candidates. We cannot decide. We do not know the right answer. No matter what side we pick, many of us still feel sinking in our hearts because none of this feels right. A nation that is based on the principle of unity and oneness has become so segregated in defining what it means to be an American. How did we get here? How did we let vile hatred run rampant on ALL sides...? 

I'm scared. I'm tired. And for those who don't think that feeling scared and tired is a worthwhile response to last night: then you're the problem. Put aside the red or blue lens over your vision and see this election for what it is: a disappointment. 

I will stand with this country in its current state of unrest. I will dedicate myself to always strive in making it greater. Not with big, flashy shows of grandeur, but by little, powerful steps. I will give encouraging smiles to those who frown. I will cheer on my LBGTQ+ friends to love who they want. I will put my extra dollar into the hands of the hungry man on the street. I will be someone who lends time to listen to anyone's story, anyone's problem, anyone's heartbreak.  I will support my fellow women. I will stand up for people of color  and use my privileged voice to speak when they are not given the chance. I will interject conversations of hatred and bigotry, and remind that love is far more powerful. I will not give in to the darkness and evil that has been pulled out from the pits of this nation. I will remain hopeful.

Don't be mad if your family voted for Trump. Don't be mad if your friends voted for Hillary. Dividing ourselves will not bring us closer to becoming the nation generations before us dreamed of: the nation that we all still dream of. Unite together in solidarity, to fight for a better America than the one we've known.

"if we stand together and work together with respect for our differences, strengthen our convictions, and love for this nation, our best days are still ahead of us. Because, you know, I believe we are stronger together and we will go forward together. And you should never, ever regret fighting for that.    - Hillary Clinton

"Now its time for America to bind the wounds of division. We have to get together. To all Republicans and Democrats and Independents across the nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people. It's time."   -Donald Trump

With very much love,

Lauren.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

6 lovely little notes:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Lauren!

As I am sure you recall, you and I met and became friends in the very early 2010s. I wanted you to know that I am still following the story of your life after all these years. I chose to comment today because I very much appreciate what you wrote here. Your words convey great wisdom. They help and they heal. Words like yours are what the people of our nation desperately need to read and hear after many months of angry diatribes. What you expressed in this wonderful piece is similar to what I tried to do on my own blog today.

I admire the outstanding young woman you have become, dear Lauren. God bless you and God bless America!

Kezzie said...

You made me cry. I'm sitting here on the train with tears dripping down my face whilst commuters look at me askance. Yes to everything you have said here. I feel for America. It is a difficult situation, so difficult but your response is wise and important.

Kezzie said...

I remember Shady above! I used to love his comments and responses and picture!

SB said...

So well put Lauren, unfortunately there seems to be so much division in the world lately the same thing happened with the Brexit vote over here. I wish I could put into words as eloquently as you how I feel but I can't so for now all I will say is that I agree we must all do what we can to spread love and compassion.

SomeoneLikeYou said...

All my dear blog friends over the years united! Thank you so much all for the words of encouragement. I love you all <3

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Shady wrote above! Lauren, I regard this as 'the long form' of the Safety Pin mark that so many of us are wearing right now... it is absolutely a breathtaking piece of wisdom that honestly, should be published in the New York Times editorial section!

With love & admiration,
Jeannee
Sparkle4Jesus@outlook.com

PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig