a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Real.

I think something I forget all too often is that bloggers are real people. Real people with real lives outside of the internet realm. I just get so caught up in seeing their internet persona of perfection that I lose sight of the fact that no, that blogger isn't an imaginary character off of Gossip Girl but a girl who is actually out there.

As readers, all we see is the perfection and the parts of a blogger's life that he or she chooses to share with us. We don't get to see the insecurities and the bad outfit days. They're covered up with flawless outfits and a confident smile. We don't get to see the pimples or the dark circles under their eyes. All of those are edited and photoshopped out so that nothing but a smooth exterior exists. We don't get to see the break-ups, the family strains, the down-in-the-dumps kind of days, or even the stress of work or school. We just get to see the pictures of a glorious day at a quaint coffee shop with macaroons or the rows and rows of dainty dresses hanging from inside the vintage store.

What I'm trying to say I guess is that no blogger is perfect and no blogger is flawless. Some may appear that way, yes, but all of us are real human beings. I never want to come across as the flawless blogger though. I never want any of you to think I have the perfect life or the perfect wardrobe. The perfect boyfriend or the perfect blog. None of my life is perfect nor do I ever want it to appear that way.

Being real is so much more important for me to come across to you all than being perfect is. I want you all to know that yeah, I do sometimes trip in the school hallways when I'm walking in my heels and everyone snickers. I do get pimples. Lots and lots of them. I do have days where I don't want to wear a pretty dress, but just want to stay (and I do) in my pajamas all day. I do get down, depressed, hurt, and every other emotion that all of you get. I am a real person. I am not just a picture on the internet, but someone who is real.

So if I ever stop, even for one second, being real to you gals and guys, just let me know

With much love, Lauren.

P.S. Happy Leap Day! Goodness, what a seriously special day! I won't get to wish you all another one until four more years
SHARE:

15 comments

Unknown said...

Lauren,

Thanks for remind us of something that we all need to remember whether we have a blog or not, that none of us are perfect and that we just need to be who we truly are and be happy with that person, inside and out! :)

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Caroline said...

i suggest you check out the blog 'an ordinary utopia.' (www.ordinaryutopia.blogspot.com) it's a collab blog about seeing and accepting the ordinary in life and finding the beauty in it. (And no, I'm not one of the authors, but I just find their message very inspiring and thought you might too :).)
So yeah, you're not alone. :) I really liked your post, btw. :P

Ashlyn said...

This is such a good sentiment that has been taking off in the fashion blogging community lately! I feel like there's been a bit of a (healthy, non cruel) backlash towards the designer darlings who seem like they are from a magazine. I support bloggers like you, who truly strive to give a pretty accurate representation, more than those who I feel I could never see as more than just a character playing a fashion part.
Great post!

Ashlyn
Triple Thread

claire said...

this post is just awesome, you're awesome, and not because your life's perfect, because it isn't (no ones is), it's because your real. the blogging world needs more 'real' people.
xxx

Jana K said...

So very glad you decided to like this post. I think we all ought to remember that bloggers are real people-I often forget it. Everything just seems perfect in their world, despite the truth. And it puts pressure on other bloggers, including myself. But reading your blog, with how transparent you are is so very encouraging! Thanks so much :)

Leanna

Teddi said...

well written & beautifully said dear lauren.

CaptMO/ DJ ABO said...

We're... real??? No WAY!!!! :-p j/k Luv ya hun!!! I have always been a firm believer that you're the most real person I've come across online. Thus I've been a loyal follower ever since! My blog has always just been about the music, whereas I keep my personal life to my facebook and every now and then, i open up my first blog and add something new there, but haven't in years... I know, i should get a move on with it!!! ;-) But dearest Lauren, nobody's life is perfect (except mine), but for all you've been through, it has made perfection in you! Take care hun and always know that you have at least one complete envier in your crowd!!! :-)

Charmaine said...

Totally agree with you! Well said.

Sweets and Hearts said...

very well said.

a lot of (our) blogs are carefully curated, and we only allow people to see a certain side of us. we have so much more going on. :)

Unknown said...

Such an encouraging post Lauren!! It is a good reminder. Sometimes I find envy creeping nto me when I see how fabulous and beautiful everyones life seems to be. But we are all human and no one is truly perfect! Thank you for sharing this today!!

molly said...

You are so right!! Thank you for reminding me, sometimes you just forget and get caught up with what looks like their perfect lives.

I'm your newest follower :)

thevintageheart-molly.blogspot.com.au/

Lizzie said...

I really appreciate your candor! I wish I had had your intellect and courage when I was a teenager! I am sure you feel insecure many times, but you seem to just work through it to remain true to yourself. That is a wonderful quality! Keep up the good work!! I'm really enjoying your blog:)

Sandra said...

very nice :) http://lepetitlibellule.blogspot.com/2012/03/silver.html

Emily said...

Wow, that's so true Lauren! I seem to forget that all the time, especially looking at the bloggers that are talked about in the magazines (like Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere etc). But what you said is so true. I try and post mostly good things, but I also think its extremely important to post about your insecure, bad days; just to prove that your not perfect.

Thank you so much for writing about this, you totally reminded me. And even if your not perfect Lauren, we still love you and think your absolutley amazing:)

<3

Anonymous said...

I agree...and that is exactly why my photos are never photoshopped. Yes, I might brighten it a bit, or enhance the contrast, but I would never remove anything or change myself. That isn't who I am. I also try to tell the bad with the good, and have said a lot on my blog that I haven't been able to say out loud. So I completely know what you mean, and am glad you are 'real' to all your readers :)

Blogger Template by pipdig