a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fight For Your Rights.

Yellow Cardigan, Blue Beret, Cream Socks: Forever21.
Blue Peter Pan Collar Dress: Modcloth.
Ruffle Loafers: c/o Pink and Pepper.

Hello there,
I found myself sporting Kent State colors without even realizing I had done so this morning! Through taking my fashion classes, I've just become so much more inspired by my wardrobe and the things I can do with it that I never realized before studying fashion. In one of my classes, we're studying color theory so I've really been inspired to try out new combinations with my wardrobe by mixing complements, split complements, triadic, analogous, and such. Even though my wardrobe is the smallest it's ever been, I feel more inspired than ever by it.

Today was a powerful day though. I've been dreading going to this 'May 4th, 1970 memorial' video showing that's required for one of my classes for weeks now. It's just about the famous shootings that happened at Kent State and how it impacted the country thereafter. Like I said, I was totally dreading it but once I saw it tonight, I realized a lot of things.

I was walking through the student center plaza this morning to find an older man holding up a sign that said 'you need Jesus.' He was shouting at students as they walked by, preaching at them to find God and to seek a holier life. I am a Christian and a Catholic myself and of course I believe in having God in my life. I don't believe in Evangelism though and condemning other people for the way they want to live their life and telling them what to believe, so I just thought the way the man handled it was incredibly rude.

Long story short, I went by the center later in the day and hundreds of students were gathered around the man, protesting and standing up for their beliefs. It was a peaceful protest, holding up signs and such, but it was still so powerful to see and be apart of students standing up for what they believe in.

Seeing this demonstration of standing up for your beliefs gave me new eyes when watching the movie today. Seeing how forty years ago, students just like me stood up for what they believed in, just like students did today, and they were shot and killed.

All of this just makes me really realize how much power I have and potential to do anything with my life, with my beliefs, with everything that's been given to me. It inspires me for this blog, as silly as it may sound. At the end of the day, no one can tell me what to believe and what to write about; it's up to me. Sometimes I hold things back from here, nervous about getting criticized, but all of the events of today made me realize that I have a voice and I have it for a reason. And through exercising this voice, I am using the gift that previous Kent State students wanted to have so many years ago and they were deprived of.

It's a beautiful thing.

With much love, Lauren.
SHARE:

13 comments

Jeannee said...

It is fantastic! that you know this at your age - now, just don't forget it ;) I know on my own blog, and on my facebook, as well, that I hover with my fingers over the keyboard at times - knowing that not everyone who is my virtual friend agrees with me and some have even unfriended me ... but then I recall what my mother taught me: The only people you really have to answer to, are the ones who pay your bills ... and since I'm paying my own bills here ;)

Unknown said...

So lovely! Well written too. xx

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I think college becomes a time in your life when you start to establish your own belief system and values and you start to protect what you hold dear through either peaceful protest or by not letting people bully you into their way of thinking. Such a tough lesson to learn and you're learning it quickly! :)

That dress is beyond adorable and I love the mustard cardigan with it. So pretty! <3

toni

Anonymous said...

Lauren

You are so adorable. Some say you look just like me. Ha Ha

Love.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Evangelism is our calling as Christians. To reach the lost, to introduce them to the love and majesty of Jesus Christ.

Mark 16:15 Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Britney @ Scout and Company said...

You are amazing Lauren. :D And oh so beautiful too. I hope you are feeling well.

Unknown said...

Lovely look! I adore you collar and mustard sweater!

www.mythriftychic.com

Unknown said...

You go girl! I feel the same way, I get really nervous talking about politics and touchy subjects on my blog too, but I know that if something happened that I felt strongly enough, I would mention it!

You look lovely dear!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

i love everything about your blog and most of all i love this outfit post.
your header is sooo cute i love balloons and they fit so much to your cheerful and childish (in a positive way) personality.
you have this amazing smile that leads that everybody wants to be your friend.
and your soft look and your friendly face expression and the hwole cute eprson you are makes me wanna get to know you better.
everything here is so french-like and i love your hat, i see you have it in many colors (blue/rosé/...)

I adore your blog, keep on doing this wonderful thing you do here.
I had to follow you, you have a new fan now <3
Hope you may visit my blog,too
Your Amely Rose from:
http://thebizarrebirdcage.blogspot.de/

Kristian said...

Interesting that students would do that.

You look great in this and it is very inspiring that you are so inspired when you have a "smaller closet than ever." Go you!

Kezzie said...

DO you mean you don't believe in ALL evangelism? I find the type of 'You are all going to hell' not a good way to evangelise, and I am very uncomfortable with it because that is not sharing the love of Jesus, the most important part of my faith is knowing his love. But I believe in offering loving opportunities for people to get to know Jesus if they want to, talking if they ask me about it, or running our holiday club, or helping someone on the street if they need help or sharing stories of my faith and how that helps me, or trying to support, encourage and raise the self-esteem of a shy-teenager or child or adult by sharing my time with them or giving up time to do something for the community through the church or trying to live life positively and gratefully. That is important that people at least know about him and his role in my life- whether they choose to accept is their choice. I respect their beliefs and their ability to choose and I am not going to shove it down their throats, especially if they choose not to believe it, but that doesn't mean I am not sharing the gospel at all? Sharing the gospel or talking about Jesus is evangelism and surely the great commission is to go and tell the world. You talk about your faith on this blog and that (in the past, certainly) is what I perceive to be a form of evangelism. T'would be nice to actually know your opinion on this in more detail.
Nice outfit. My uni colours were claret and gold- like Gryffindor!

Teddi said...

with empowerment, strength, discovery, & growth! :)

Teddi said...

i forgot to mention how much i like the outfit, & color combination. duh me

Blogger Template by pipdig