a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Monday, September 10, 2012

National Suicide Prevention Day.

Orange Peter Pan Collar Dress: Modcloth.
Cream T-Strap Heels: Thrifted.
Yellow Beret: Target.

Today is National Suicide Prevention Day and suicide awareness week; something I hold very near and dear to my heart. To support this cause, today you were to wear yellow and sport the word 'love' on your wrist.

When I first started having suicidal thoughts and fantasies, I didn't want to tell anyone. I was plain out ashamed. No one wants to admit they want to end their life. I think the hardest thing for me was being able to tell someone else and get help. I remember calling my mother in the nature center months ago, crying, telling her I wanted to talk. To talk about why I wanted to kill myself.

You don't have to be like me and keep your demons inside. I want to be there for you all, whether it's dealing with suicidal thoughts or any other issue. I know my mother was there for me but not all of us are that lucky to have an incredible, supportive, figure in our lives. Our mental illnesses and suicidal thoughts make us who we are but they DO NOT define us. We are stronger than them and each and every single one of us deserves to live and deserves life because it is a beautiful, precious thing.

Sometimes it's just telling your story so someone knows their not alone. Sometimes it's just being willing to listen. Sometimes it's letting a person know their worth something. 
 
What will you do to prevent and speak out against suicide?
I know I'm willing to do all of the above ❤

Tonight I went to a meeting for an organization on campus you may have heard of; To Write Love On Her Arms. It's a national campaign supporting depression, suicide, addiction, and self harm. It was so incredible being united with these people tonight, and I really look forward to more meetings as the year progresses.

Thank you all for supporting me through my depression journey, my suicide journey, and the journeys I'm still on. You all are incredible.

With much love, Lauren.
SHARE:

17 comments

Unknown said...

You are such an inspiration, Lauren. Good for you to take something hard in your life and work it for the better. You rock. :)

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Britney @ Scout and Company said...

So true Lauren!! We are not defined by our past or our illnesses. This is something I realised this year. Have a terrific day you awesome lady!

Unknown said...

You're doing great things Lauren! <3
www.thefashionwheel.com

TaNuja said...

You are a brave girl is all I can say now :)


Love
Tanuja :)

Unknown said...

Aw you're supporting a great cause! And you look amazing doing it!

Anonymous said...

To Write Love on Her Arms....man I haven't heard of that organization in years! I used to support a lot of bands that supported that organization years ago. Love your outfit for this cause. You look beautiful! <3

toni

Et tu, tutu? said...

TWLOHA. <3

-Lindsey

Charlotta, Afternoon Apparel said...

You look lovely as always :) You're brave for talking about these things and opening up, and I hope girls who read your blog and recognise themselves will see it's okey to get help and talk about things without being ashamed of themselves and their thoughts. Have a beautiful week xo

Eatlovemerry said...

You look so beautiful! x

Eatlovemerry said...

You look so beautiful! x

Marie said...

Wonderful dress, and thoughtful post! Kudos.

Marie @
Lemondrop ViNtAge

I am having a fabulous giveaway right here.

Kezzie said...

It's a very important issue. It's good for you to raise awareness about it.

Anonymous said...

amazingly brave, this post could literally save someones life. thanks for sharing.
ps your hair is SO GORGEOUS!!! XXX

Teddi said...

wow! i'm glad you got to be a part of the meeting, & awareness. it's so beyond important.

Camille said...

Love this post and I love how your orange lipstick looks on you!

http://thefunkyfashionista.blogspot.com/

Willow said...

Thank you for posting this, and for showing your support and sensitivity. I also did a post about Suicide Prevention/Awareness day (thought the "love" written on my wrist wasn't written in such pretty handwriting!)

Oh, and I love the hat!

- Willow

Jhon mac said...

I want to thank you for this informative post. I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.Thanks for sharing this great article.Great information thanks a lot for the detailed article,That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.
suicide prevention week

Blogger Template by pipdig