a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Saturday, March 16, 2013

In the Depths.

 Cream Tulle Dress: Modcloth.
Lace Blouse: Thrifted.
Spiked Black Heels: TJ Maxx.
Cat Ear Headband: Gift from Britney of Scout.

When I enter underneath the water, it's like I'm the only one in the world. All of the sounds are blocked out and it's just me in the murky depths of the lane. Foggy and a deep blue green, it's like I'm in a different world. It's been years but I still fall into the familiar rhythm. One, two, three breath. One, two three, breath. It comes so naturally from over a decade of experience. Muscle memory. It feel like I never left the pool. My arms pull the water and it falls behind me, just like all of my worries and frustrations. My muscles feel tight and strained, but it makes me feel strong to know I'm making my body work. I've never felt so strong. So powerful that I do in the pool. My legs give little, swift flutter kicks and my body still allows me to do a powerful flip and turn at each wall. A somersault in the water- something I would never be able to do on land. 

In the water you don't think. You just do as your body moves itself by itself, and your mind wanders. It thinks about your past, what it would have been like if you hadn't give it all up. If you hadn't stopped swimming, where would you be? What would you look like? Who would be in your life and who wouldn't? You think about how angry you've felt lately from what a person has done to you. You pull the water harder trying to push your troubles behind you in the water. It feels good to let it out. Besides writing it's been the only thing that's worked.  And in the water you don't have to wipe away your frustrated tears.

At the end, you take the goggles off of your face. Your cheek bones hurt because they were too tight but the relief feels wonderful. You slide your cap off, sink into the water and just let yourself float, relax, your body feels strong but weak after a good workout. You climb out of the water, feeling more satisfied than you have in awhile. You wonder why it took you so long to get back to this.

I went swimming for the first time in over a year yesterday and it was magical.

With much love, Lauren.
SHARE:

21 comments

Bogi Vrg said...

Amazing look!

Sammi said...

Beautiful outfit! I always feel so at home in the water too; my mom always called me her little fish! Did you go to a pool at your college? I always wanted to go to the one where I went, but never got the chance before I graduated! I can't wait til summer.

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Mary said...

This was so inspiring and motivating. I'm dealing with pain that is keeping me from running, something I really enjoy doing, but now I'm encouraged to turn to the water to get my exercise therapy fix. Thanks so much, Lauren. I'm glad swimming is doing such great things for you, and I'm looking forward to the same for me.

Léna's Cameo said...

Your dress is so magical ! I like your style in general, I would love to dress like you :)

Carlee, Little Sloth said...

Love the cat ears headband! And the pretty white outfit.
Carlee
Almost Endearing

Britney @ Scout and Company said...

I love how this was written Lauren. Really nice. And you look stunnin' as always :) Britney

Unknown said...

Love the dress, heels, and your nails, so cute!
http://teapotsandbelles.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty outfit, and beautiful writing! :)

Katie Aman said...

That headband is so delicate and pretty! I can't believe how perfect it looks on you, especially with the lace. Glad you had such a great swimming experience! I've never been much of a swimmer, but I can understnad the pull towards it. Water is beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!
Extremely useful info particularly the last phase :) I handle such information much.

I was seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thanks and good luck.

Here is my website cheap legal highs

Unknown said...

This outfit is such a perfect mix of girly and edgy. I love the touch of edge from your amazing spiked heels. Every time you wear those I'm convinced I need to find a pair because they're just so cool! Your car ear headband is super cute too.

Zika Vica said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

beautiful dress! i really love it! :)
Irene Wibowo

Saniya said...

wow! you write so beautifully!

Fiveftwo said...

This outfit is lovely and so are you!

Ps: I would like to invite you to my 1st giveaway. Hope you'll drop by :)

Win a Daniel Welling watch (value $199) on my blog:


www.freshminhtea.com

Kathleen Harper said...

Just found your blog and guess what? I'm following!! It's a lovely blog and I'd love for you to follow me back! It'd be great to keep in touch :)
<3
katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I thought this outfit was fantastic...then I saw the cat ear headband! It's soooo adorable! And the nail polish color is awesome!

http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

Midwest Muse said...

I love every single thing about this outfit. You look incredible.

Ritielle Nunes said...

Lovely outfit! I just bought my cat ear headband and I'm so excited to use this!

aki! said...

I actually can't swim. :o

Love the skinny belt here. I think your use of accessories is awesome.

7% Solution​

Teddi said...

to magic, finding the things that make you love life, pretty outfits, and kitty cat ears. swim on! :)

Blogger Template by pipdig