a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Underneath it All.

Grey Ruffle Dress: Modcloth.
Green Cardigan, Wool Hat, Necklace: Thrifted.
Riding Boots: Old Navy.

I decided to go makeup less today. No particular reason really. Just because. It's always a nice change actually. I enjoy putting makeup on and find it just a part of putting my outfits together. I like trying to perfect my cat eye, filling in my lips carefully with lipstick, and having precisely filled in eyebrows to make them stand out. But I never feel like I need the makeup. A few years ago I did, but now I just don't. It's there if I want to play with it and put it on, but sometimes it's nice just to go bare faced. It makes you feel vulnerable, especially when every girl here has a perfectly put together face...but it's freeing in a sense.

Since coming back to school I've been kind of stressed. The work is piling up and I only have five weeks left before I come home for the summer. Some people deal with stress by eating, crying, procrastinating....I sleep. It's awful. I just sleep to avoid it all because I don't want to think about it, and then at the end of the day nothing has gotten done. I'm hoping I can pull it together soon and try and deal. I've been listening to my favorite Christian songs in the morning to start my days off positively and have been trying to write more to get my feelings out. Taking blog photos helps, too, actually. Strange it might sound, but I always feel this odd suspension of time and the relief of stress when it's just me, my camera, and nature. I can block out all of the swirling problems in my mind just for those 15-20 minutes I take photos and that's always been one of my favorite parts about blogging--having that time to myself.

Hope you all are doing well!

With much love, Lauren.
SHARE:

12 comments

SB said...

You look so beautiful with and without make-up. I was looking at the pictures and wondering if you had done something with your eyebrows (not in a bad way just they looked different) but I didn't actually notice anything else, no lie.

It's funny that you went make-up free today as I don't normally wear make-up but today I decided to have a play around and try some, it didn't go according to plan at first as I ended up looking like I had Umpa Lumpa in my heritage I had better luck with my second attempt and a lighter foundation. lol

OrigamiGirl said...

I think this look really suits you. You also look great in earthy tones and big hats. Makes me smile because you look so comfortable. I'm sorry you've been feeling stressed out. I hope the end of term goes ok, you always get the long summer to do all the relaxing afterwards!

Kezzie said...

You are naturally beautiful so you glow anyway! I don't really wear makeup and I know I look ropy and tired at times but I know if I smile, then people don't notice the bags under my eyes!!! You, like me, have the benefit of a nice smile too!x

Elliementary, My Dear said...

Is that a green hat?? I need one of those! Haha. It's a great color on you :)

Angela said...

I hear ya! Finals are coming up and I couldn't feel more unprepared. But, we can totally tackle these last few weeks!!! :) I can almost feel summer!

Forwhichtheheartbeats said...

I really adore this dress of yours. And the emerald green and grey is a fantastic combination.
I love your no-make up look. You looks younger and very fresh. It is always a good idea to give all that makeup a break once in a while and let your skin breathe.

Unknown said...

This is such a cute outfit, and it suits you so well! And you're pictures are amazing by the way! xo Maylis

http://onelittlefrenchie.blogspot.com/

Anna Lia said...

Dear Lauren,
Thank you so much for your sincere, honest and really helpful reply! I was so ecstatic to read it. :D
I think your advice was actually exactly what I needed, and you brought up a lot of really interesting points I hadn't considered. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you and I feel empowered to try out some of these fashions that I see you wear so beautifully that I'm yearning to try out! Also, I loved today's post and I think everything about it was simply PERFECT!!! You're face is stunning, with or without makeup, and that outfit, hair, and accessories were really gorgeous. Thanks again for taking the time to respond with such great tips and I hope you are having an awesome day!

Miche said...

I definitely sleep a ton too.. things just seem easier that way. Anyway, I hope these next 5 weeks aren't too grueling for you! Love you without a ton of makeup, you can totally rock the natural look!
Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

Sampada said...

Taking photos for the blog is one of my favorite activities too! Even when it becomes frustrating with things like lighting, focus, awkward takes and such.

Loving the no makeup look! So fresh! But I also love your full face of makeup look -- flawlessly done every time!

-Sampada

sampzandsuch.blogspot.com

Allyssa said...

I just love this! I'm so jealous that you can pull off so many looks. You look adorable in everything!

Alexandra Marie said...

Agreed, you look beautiful! Alex

tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

Blogger Template by pipdig